Thursday, February 28, 2013

Please Brew Mine Fresh...

I was talking with an older Christian woman yesterday, who was telling me about a new Bible Study she has been attending at her church. "What are you studying?" I asked. "The book of John," she said. "Are you enjoying it?" I asked next. "Not really...in fact, I am thinking of quitting it. They want to look at it in detail. So much of John is such a comfort to me that I don't want to know anything that might 'muddy' that up....."

Wow. Don't want to know. There is nothing about God that I don't want to know. There is nothing about scripture that I don't want to know. There is absolutely nothing about Jesus that I don't want to know!

I guess comfort is not my end goal in study...Truth is. Truth is sometimes hard, sometimes a relief, sometimes causes conflict, sometimes makes peace. Truth sets free. Truth brings freedom. That freedom is our liberator from the dishonesties of the worlds of our own making, with us as the center sun and the creator of ourselves. Freedom from the foolishness of looking at today and thinking this is all we have. Freedom to be challenged to learn till our dying breath about some of the things that are not comfortable in this world.....and in our very imperfect lives!

It all boils down to this: Love The Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind; love yourself; and love your neighbor at least as much or more than you love yourself.

So simple....and sometimes so uncomfortable!

No comments:

Post a Comment