Monday, February 18, 2013

Half Caff with Room for Cream

Last weekend was a whirlwind! Jon was teaching his Tarleton State University Paradigm Bible Study on Thursday night till 10pm. Then, he got in his pickup and drove 8 hours to Ruidoso, NM to speak twice on Friday to a corporate retreat. He was back in his car immediately, driving the 8 hours back to Granbury, TX to speak at 11am at a marriage conference with me!

If that made you exhausted to read, join the rest of the logically-thinking world!

When we finally got home late that afternoon, he had made grand plans for us...a nice dinner out, walking around our town square, coffee on the patio under the stars.........
I could see before we hit the house that he was white with exhaustion, and, in my heart, I knew none of that would happen.

I offered to go get his cleaning before they closed, and I picked up dinner while I was out. When I got home, I set the table and we ate, with me explaining that I was "too tired" to eat out. We talked a few minutes, before the inevitable happened...HE FELL ASLEEP!

But I didn't care. Who cares about eating out and walking around with a zombie!
I JUST WANTED TO BREATHE THE SAME AIR WITH HIM.

For most of you, you take that "common air" for granted, because you breathe it at the end of every day together. But it is rarified air to me. It is experiencing the flesh and blood, instead of waving to his location's regional map on the Weather Channel. It is hearing that small puff that represents his version of a snore, rather than settling for exchanging "good night, I love you" on the phone. It is watching over him while he sleeps and letting the rest of the world go on its merry way.

For that one glorious moment, we are breathing the same air. Can anything be better than that!?!

1 comment:

  1. You seriously got me choked up on this one. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete